A hosting plan offers lots of benefits as compared to a server. Basically, a hosting plan is composed of the server as well as many management services including core software upgrades, different security protocols, and general performance monitoring. In order to discuss in detail about difference between VPS vs dedicated server hosting, it is important to know what the two basically means. VPS means virtual personal server. In VPS hosting, a physical server is housed within a data center, and its location relies on the particular hosting provider you are using. On the other hand, dedicated hosting is recognized as a hosting configuration in which a particular server is dedicated to a sole organisation or for a sole purpose, like a website.
Now let’s have a look at the top 5 differences between VPS vs dedicated server hosting:
1. With the help of dedicated hosting plans, there is single user who uses all the hardware on the server. Whereas, through the help of VPS hosting plan, it is known that the hardware of the server can be utilized by vast number of different users.
2. A dedicated hosting plan can simply be perceived in an identical manner to your regular computer. In this, you possess all the hardware and only you have access to every resources available. This is not the case with VPS hosting because many users have access to the hardware and resources. In VPS, the server could be likened to a particular computer which is getting shared by more than users.
3. Dedicated servers are comparatively more secure than VPS. The reason is in addition to every usual threat that some or any hosting plan should face, it is found that VPS servers have a specific weakness which dedicated serves do not.
4. Both the hosting plans differ in terms of security. The supplementary security risk of a virus avoiding the hypervisor is found to be so small that it occurs very infrequently. When you are going to launch a business centred on security (related to banking, legal, or government based matters), you may wish to go for dedicated server in order to get the maximum benefits. However, for majority of other kind of business, it must not be a great issue. It is found that VPS hosting is comparatively less secure than dedicated server hosting.
5. The two hosting i.e VPS vs Dedicated server hosting plan have noticeable difference based on performance. Performance is mainly concerned to the hardware specifications of server. Provided two servers with the identical specifications, it is assured that the dedicated servers will have a performance benefit over VPS servers. This is because they need not have to share the resources among users as well as with a VPS server. Later, it follows that the very high-end server configurations exist only for dedicated users. In case your enterprise or website or does require a huge amount of hardware to power it, you will only be capable to obtain this kind of power from single or multiple dedicated servers.
VPS vs Dedicated server, each works best in order to benefit its users. However, depending on the requirements based on performance, cost, security, number of users accessing it, hardware needs, etc. you can go for any of them.